When you start eating healthy food, knowing where and what to buy can be hard.
Grocery stores seem to carry a bit of everything, so they feel like a safe bet, right? Not always.
In fact, there are several reasons why you should consider seeking out local food instead of store-bought options, even if it means making a few extra stops during your weekly shop.
- Local food is fresher. When fruit doesn’t need to travel long distances to the store, it can be picked at the peak of ripeness and doesn’t need to be treated with chemicals to prevent it from going bad.
- Local food is more nutrient-rich. Nutrients begin to degrade as soon as fruits and vegetables are picked, so the longer they sit in trucks and on shelves, the less nutritious they become.
- By buying local food, you support your community. When you buy local, you keep money in the local economy and help create jobs. You also get to know local producers and sellers, which can foster a sense of community.
And the best thing is that when you get to know the people that grow your food, you can ask them for tips on how to prepare it, what goes well together, or simply what’s tastiest that week.
- When you buy local food, you eat seasonally. Seasonal eating has many health benefits, as it ensures that you’re eating food that is naturally designed to nourish your body during that time of year. Seasonal produce is also cheaper since it doesn’t have to be shipped in from other places.
It also helps you appreciate the food more, as you only have it for a limited time. Asking your local farmers what’s in season can be a great way to try new things and add a bit of variety to your diet.
- Buying local is better for the environment. Because it doesn’t have to travel as far, local food has a smaller carbon footprint.
Less transportation also means less packaging, which further reduces environmental impact. And small-scale farmers tend to use sustainable practices that preserve resources and don’t pollute the air and water like large-scale agriculture can. These are just a few reasons why we love to buy local food.
Of course, it might not always be readily available to you, or you might not have the time to go to farmers’ markets every week. You can start by taking a look around next time you’re at the grocery store to see if they have anything locally sourced on offer that you can add to your cart.
And when it is an option, consider seeking out local food growers to get the freshest, most nutritious produce possible. Your body, taste buds, and community will thank you. At SAVOR we like to use the freshest, most wholesome ingredients to create our expertly prepared nutritional meals. We’ll deliver the food you love to eat that’s actually good for you right to your doorstep. Contact us today to ask what’s on the menu!