I like potatoes in all forms. Baked, fried, mashed, boiled, pureed, grated, you name it. Potatoes are my weakness. Tater tots are certainly no exception. Man, those greasy little things are delicious! But, I am always trying to find ways to make favorite comfort food dishes healthier. That’s why when our team of chefs came up with the idea to do broccoli tots for one of our clients, I was very excited and couldn’t help but share with you!
Here are some thoughts of panic you might be having:
Do they actually taste like tater tots?
Will my kids like these?
Are they really going to help curve my potato cravings?
My answer to these questions are they taste quite similar to tater tots, but healthier! (and that’s okay!) They have a similar crunchy texture which makes these satisfying because they have substance. Yes, your kids will love it! Hiding vegetables in seemingly unhealthy dishes is a great way to get kids to eat their veggies too. I still love eating potatoes, but this certainly is my new favorite way to eat a tater tot. No fat and no grease. Just clean eating! The aoili sauce adds a lot of flavor, so don’t skip out on that!
Broccoli Tots with Lemon Aioli
- 2 cups raw broccoli florets
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 cup Gluten-Free Rice Chex, broken up into small pieces
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (use the brand Daiya to make this dairy free)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup mayo (use Daiya brand for dairy free)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF, and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Steam your broccoli florets for 2 minutes, and chop well into small pieces.
- Next, make the Lemon Aioli sauce. Whisk the first 4 ingredients together and then add salt and pepper to taste
- For the most flavor cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped broccoli with the rest of your ingredients. Mix until totally combined.
- Scoop a large spoonful of the mixture in your hands, and shape it so it resembles a tater tot. Place on your baking sheet, and repeat until all mixture has been used.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and serve with the Lemon Aioili sauce.
Hungry for more? Be the first to get our latest recipes, SAVOR news and exclusive deals! CLICK HERE