I have many wonderful memories fishing with my dad during the summer. I was about three years old when I got my first fishing pole. I think it was My Little Pony or something like that. Fishing was something that always brought my dad and grandparents together and of course, I would always get to tag along.
We’d go fishing somewhere on the Texas coast and sit out there on our boat for 12 or 13 hours, catching fish all day. I mostly just played with the crabs in the boat. But I remember one fishing trip when I was about 5 or 6 years old, I caught twelve fish and reeling them in one fish after the other. My dad and grandpa didn’t get one bite on their line that day! I remember them being so mad at me for being a better fisherman then they were! I thought I was pretty cool.
Since going fishing together was one of my favorite bonding activities with my dad, every Father’s day I like to make fish tacos. These aren’t just any old fish tacos, the avocado crema and sweet mango salsa, will you have you wanting seconds.
Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema and Mango Salsa
For the crema:
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
15-20 sliced jalapenos from a jar (to taste), plus 2 tablespoons of the jalapeno liquid
For the mango salsa:
1 medium ripe mango, cut into chunks
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into chunks
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
For the tacos:
Corn tortillas or taco shells
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 large mahi mahi filets, about 1 1/2 pounds total, cut into 1
1/2 small cabbage or 1 large head fennel, very thinly sliced or
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. First, make the cream: place all the cream ingredients in a small food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
3. Wrap the corn tortillas in foil and put them in the oven until warm.
4. Mix the spices in a small bowl, and then sprinkle on the fish fillet.
5. Heat a large pan over medium-heat and add olive oil and add the fish fillets and cook until done.
6. With a fork, break up the fish fillets and add them in the tacos along with the cabbage, mango salsa and drizzle with the avocado crema.
Hungry for more? Be the first to get our latest recipes, SAVOR news and exclusive deals! CLICK HERE