At Savor, we make meals with your health in mind, creating custom menus to help manage food allergies and health conditions. During challenging times, we’re there for you every step of the way, keeping you strong and healthy with the healing properties of food.
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, we’re sharing a few of the best foods to eat and avoid for those undergoing chemotherapy and other cancer treatments – giving them the nutrients they need to maintain strength, continue to fight, feel better and speed recovery.
Cancer Diet: Foods to Eat
- Vegetables: All of the vegetables except white potatoes. Focus especially on cruciferous vegetables like Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, and other dark-green leafy vegetables.
- Fruit: Berries
- Protein: Eggs, chicken, wild-caught fish (not farm-raised), turkey, beans, nuts, white meat and small amounts of grass-fed beef
- Good Fats: Olive oil, avocados, seeds
- Whole Grains: Oatmeal, brown rice and quinoa
- Broth: Bone broths and vegetable mineral broths
- Spices and Teas: Turmeric and Green Tea
Side Note: A property of Turmeric called Curcumin, is said to contain properties that can actually target and fight cancer cells. Likewise, Green Tea contains polyphenols which are also said to fight cancer. While neither of these foods should be looked at as a natural remedy or treatment to fight cancer, adding a little bit to your diet could benefit you.
Cancer Diet: Foods to Avoid
- Foods with Added Sugar
- Foods high in carbs such as white potatoes
- Trans Fats
- Processed Foods
- Soy-based products
- Eat 5-6 small meals a day to make sure your body is getting enough calories.
- Eat protein-rich foods often.
- Try to avoid fruit juices. Green smoothies are a great substitution.
- Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration.
- Talk with your doctor before taking added vitamins and supplements.
At the end of the day, everyone’s cancer journey is unique and so are their dietary needs. Always consult a medical doctor to figure out a plan that works best for you, and remember we’re always here to help along the way providing our expertise and meals that fit your plan.