Everyone loves sweet potato casserole with the gooey marshmallows on top. However, if you’re gluten free or dairy free, sweet potato casserole is something you typically have to avoid during the Thanksgiving feast. But I’ve got a special gluten-free and dairy free recipe so you can still enjoy this savory dish. It might not have the marshmallows on top but it does have a delicious streusel-like topping that is just as good, if not better!
If you’re not gluten-free or dairy free, this is still a fun new recipe you can try to switch things up this Thanksgiving and surprise your guests.
The great part about this casserole, is that it’s super easy to make too!
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup Palm Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten or Egg Replacement (here’s some egg replacement ideas )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk or milk substitute (Lactaid,Rice, Almond Milk etc.)
- 1/2 cup melted butter or butter substitute (try Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup Palm sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup GF flour (Angel’s is my favorite)
- 1/3 cup melted butter or butter substitute
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Bake sweet potatoes in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork. Scoop out pulp, place in a bowl and mash with a fork. Combine first 6 ingredients. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients together and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and browned.
Sweet potatoes make a great side dish for the holiday not only because they are delicious, but because they are healthy for you! They are much lower in starch than regular potatoes which means they have a low glycemic index and thanks to their orange hue, they are rich in beta-carotene (good for your skin, eyes and heart!) and are rich in Vitamin E and C and dietary fiber.
TIP: Central Market carries a variety of gluten-free flours as well as dairy-free butter/milk.