- 1 pan of gluten-free cornbread
- 8 slices oven-dried GF white bread (about 8 cups)
- 8 tablespoons butter or substitute
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 cups GF vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 5 eggs, beaten or egg replacer
- 4 oz. can chopped pickled jalapenos (optional)
- 1 lb. cooked crumbled breakfast sausage (optional)
Start by making a pan of your favorite gluten-free vegan cornbread. You can make cornbread up to two to three days ahead and freeze to keep fresh.
Preheat the oven to 350* F.
In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, dried white bread slices, and crackers; set aside.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, onion and garlic and cook until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture. Add the stock, mix well, taste, and add salt, pepper to taste, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs, sausage (if using) and jalapenos (if using) and mix well.
Tip: For a softer dressing, add extra broth!
Pour mixture into a greased pan and bake until dressing is cooked through, about 45 minutes.