Our focus this month is on finding fun ways to incorporate more vegetables into your diet. Like I’ve mentioned, this could be in the form of simply trying new vegetables that you’ve never heard of before, like kohlrabi, or cooking or seasoning them in ways you haven’t before. We have clients who are vegetarian and so we are always experimenting with new vegetables dishes so that our clients don’t get tired of the same old broccoli and carrots. Something that we hear frequently from people is that they don’t know how to make their veggies flavorful. Last week we came up with the perfect dish, these Greek Style Stuffed Avocados that are flavorful and full of protein. They make a great main dish or even a side.
One star ingredient in this recipe are the chickpeas, because they are a great source of protein. Getting enough protein is critical for vegetarians so this is an easy way to include it into your diet. Tahini is what packs all the flavor and tahini is made out of sesame seeds which are a great source of calcium, magnesium and iron.
Greek Style Stuffed Avocados
- 1 cup Chickpeas, cooked
- 1/2 cup Cucumbers, quartered
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/3 tsp Paprika
- Grape seed oil
- Parsley for garnish
- 1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsps Tahini
- 1/4 cup Greek plain yogurt
- Heat up the grill to medium heat.
- Cook the chickpeas and toss them in about 1/2 tsp of grapeseed oil with the paprika and salt and pepper.
- Cut the avocados in half, removing the pit. Scoop out the center of the avocado so you have a deep hole in the center. Put some grapeseed oil onto the grill and then place the avocados flesh-side down on the grill for about 5 minutes until they have grill marks.
- While the avocados cook, mix the cucumber, tomatoes and dressing in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide the cucumber mixture between each avocado half, stuffing it into the center. Top each half with some chickpeas and more dressing if desired and garnish with parsley.
Avocados are delicious on their own, but add juicy tomatoes, crispy cucumbers topped with a zesty sauce, and these are the perfect vegetarian dish for parties or just a quiet dinner at home.
Hungry for more? Get more healthy tips, recipes and delicious deals! CLICK HERE