Grilled Chicken/Steak with Tomato Jam
Chef Deb Cantrell, CPC, shares one of her favorite recipes. It’s perfect for any season, but even better in the summer, using fresh tomatoes from the garden or farmer’s market!
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots/onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed (1 inch thick) OR boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots/onions to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add tomato, 2 tablespoons water, vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in salt and pepper to taste; keep warm.
3. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic, rosemary, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
4. Place meat on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes. Turn meat over. Sprinkle evenly with rosemary mixture; grill 3-4 minutes or until desired degree of doneness (will need to cook longer on each side for chicken). Serve with tomato jam on top of the cooked meat.