Potato salad is a staple for every 4th of July meal. Unfortunately, the potato salad you typically find at the grocery store is drowning in mayo or mustard to cover up the lack of flavor and quality ingredients. Homemade potato salad definitely take a little effort, but it tastes so much better and is better for you!
We came up with our own Paleo/Whole 30 approved potato salad recipe that you can feel good about…plus it has pork belly in it! The pork belly gives it a nice texture and added flavor. We think this recipe is one you’ll want to make year after year!
Loaded Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Pork Belly
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 heads broccoli, florets removed (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups cooked and chopped pork belly
- 4 green onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup paleo mayo
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional add-ins: roasted poblanos, caramelized onions and roasted garlic
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss potatoes with oil, cumin, 1 tsp. paprika, garlic powder and salt and pepper to evenly coat. Place on 1-2 parchment paper lined baking sheets and roast for 50 minutes, stirring halfway through until crispy.
2. Cook the pork belly while the potatoes cook. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add pork belly and sprinkle with pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, flipping once halfway through until crispy. Place on a paper towel lined plate and let cool.
3. In the same pan, cook the broccoli. Dump out most of the grease (leaving behind just a thin coating) and heat pan over medium heat. Add broccoli and saute 5-6 minutes until al dente.
4. Make the sauce by mixing the mayo, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp paprika, and salt and pepper into a small bowl.
5. Once potatoes are done, let cool for a few minutes and then add to a large bowl. Mix in the broccoli, pork belly, green onion and sauce and stir to combine.
Want us to take care of the cooking for your next summer celebration? From now until July, book a catering and receive a complimentary Savor board (charcuterie)!