Holiday parties are in full swing, which means it’s time to whip out your best holiday appetizers. Tired of serving chips and dip or pigs in a blanket? Go for something more sophisticated and classy but nearly just as easy to throw together – our Speck Wrapped & Brie Stuffed Figs. These are one of our favorite appetizers on our holiday menu this year. They were even featured on the Draper James blog!
Figs are in season which makes them especially delicious and great to use this time of year. Figs aren’t too sweet which make them great for savory or sweet dishes. (did you see how we recently topped them on our Texas Bourbon Honey Cake?!)
This appetizer just requires a quick trip to Central Market for one specialty ingredient – speck is similar to proscuitto but the ham is lightly smoked so it has a bit drier and smokier flavor, but still maintains its sweetness since it’s smoked on a low controlled temperature.
If you don’t want to venture out and try something new, proscuitto would work great in this appetizer too – it’s whatever you prefer! What makes this appetizer special (besides the speck!) is the sauce. Our beloved roasted red bell pepper sauce has a lot of uses from being used as a dip, to being added onto proteins and finally being drizzled onto these beautiful fig bites!
The roasted red pepper sauce is not spicy, but adds just enough kick to perfectly complement the sweet fig and brie. You’ll love the combination!
- Figs, cut in half
- Brie, cut into small, bite-size pieces
- Speck or prosciutto, cut into small strips (can purchase pre-sliced packages at Central Market)
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce, get the recipe here
- Make the roasted red bell pepper sauce ahead of time. Get the recipe here.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry the figs, then cut them in half, lengthwise.
- Top the figs with a bite-size piece of brie.
- Wrap the fig and brie with the speck or proscuitto around the middle and insert a toothpick to hold it together.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes and then set it on broil (low) for about 5 minutes or until the brie is bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes, then drizzle with the roasted red bell pepper sauce.
Now turn on some Christmas tunes and light some candles and you’re well on your way to a successful holiday party!