Super Bowl Sunday is coming up, do you know what you’ll be munching on during the big game against the Falcons and the Patriots? I try to find healthy alternatives to my favorite game day snacks, because it’s easy to eat as many calories as some of these NFL players! One of my go-to foods that I bring to Super Bowl parties are my Turkey Sloppy Joe Sliders. Everyone loves a good sloppy joe – it’s comfort food at its finest!
Instead of using ground beef, I like to swap it for lean ground turkey or even ground bison if I’m wanting a meat that is a bit richer. I even threw in a little bit of turmeric, which is a great anti-inflammatory (which you’ll probably need after all this eating!). My little secret to making sure these turn out super flavorful? Let it simmer – the longer the better! Your kitchen will smell amazing. Since this recipe is so simple and basic, I like to jazz things up with the “fixins'” as us Texans would call it. I like to top it with a homemade cole slaw or and fresh crispy pickles.
If you are wanting to make these sloppy joe sliders even healthier, ditch the grain bun and wrap it in romaine lettuce or swap it with cornbread which is usually naturally gluten-free (however, always read labels!).
Turkey Sloppy Joe Sliders
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey or bison
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes, more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (7-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons natural sweetener (evaporative cane juice, xylitol, or stevia, etc.)
- 1/4- 1/2 cup water
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions and peppers over medium heat until softened. Add ground meat, turmeric, chili flakes and cook until no pink color remains in meat, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, sweetener and water, 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency. Stir to combine.
3. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot in hamburger buns and top with desired fixins.
Check out our Super Bowl Sweet Potato Bites from last year for more touchdowns for your taste buds!