Are you ready for your kids to go back to school yet? It’s hard to believe that for most of us in the DFW area, school starts next week! It’s always a bittersweet feeling for me. Half of me is excited to not have my hands full at home and hear teenagers complaining that they’re bored all day. On the flip side, I miss my kiddos when they’re gone, especially because I own two companies that can keep me pretty busy. Since back-to-school time is bittersweet for many parents, I thought it was appropriate to share a “sweet and spicy” recipe that would make a perfect, healthy after-school snack and play on the fact that sometimes our kids can be sweet and other times spicy. Am I right? I love the kick of the cayenne pepper mixed with the sweet cinnamon and natural sugar. What’s great is your kids will love popping these yummy little things into their mouth, but it will also provide them with amazing protein at the same time! Each cup of chickpeas has 14 grams of protein, pretty incredible right?
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
2 cans drained organic chickpeas, unsalted if possible
Olive oil spray
2 Tablespoons brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp salt
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. In a mesh strainer, gently rinse beans. Dump onto paper towels and gently roll them dry.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spread chickpeas evenly across sheet.
3. Bake chickpeas, checking at ten minute intervals to ensure they aren’t burning. Shake for even roasting.
4. When chickpeas have reached desired level of “doneness” remove from oven and *lightly* spray with an olive oil cooking spray. This will encourage the
seasoning to stick to the dry roasted beans without compromising their crunch or low fat content.
5. In a tightly sealed tupper ware or plastic bag, shake beans in seasoning mixture. Discard excess seasonings. For best results, store in an airtight container in the
I hope your and your family have a smooth transition back into the school year with yummy, healthy food at the helm! If things become overwhelming, we are here to help with preparing your meals anytime you need us to make gathering your family around the dinner table easier.
Want to be the first to get our latest recipes, tips and promotions?