We made this delicious white chicken chili for some of our clients this week and thought we’d share the recipe with you! It makes for the perfect lunch. The thing that makes this dish special is the Jicama that we add to it! If you haven’t heard of this before, jicama is a Mexican yam bean or turnip.
White Chicken Chili
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 6 cloves roasted garlic*
- 1/3 cup jalapeno, chopped and seeded
- 3 cans white beans or butter beans, drained and rinsed.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 2 TBSP southwestern seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cold water
*How to Roast Garlic:
Cut the top of a small head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool and remove garlic from paper skin and use in recipe.
- Chop onion and jalapeno and rinse beans. Mush garlic and 1/2 of the beans together. Set all ingredients aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and jalapenos and cook until transparent. Add chicken, garlic and bean mash, broth, seasoning and lime juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Add to chili and cook another 5 minutes.
For garnish, you can add cilantro, cheddar cheese, and avocado.
Secret Savor Ingredient: Peel jicama (fresh) and thinly slice (like match sticks) and add as a garnish to the chili. Believe me, this really makes the dish, so try it! It’s crunchy and delicious.
We hope this chili keeps you warm this holiday season!