You’ve probably heard of sweet potato fries, yucca fries, but have you heard about the latest healthy fries people are eating? Butternut squash fries! Butternut squash is a fall squash and it also happens to be quite the super food! This hour-glassed shaped squash is low in fat which makes it very heart healthy and its orange hue is a sign that it contains carotenoids which protect against heart disease.
These butternut squash fries also contain a significant amount of potassium which is important for bone health and is also high in antioxidants which can help with inflammation. How cool is that?
It’s no wonder people are going crazy for these! If you’re like me and love potatoes and fries then you’ve got to try this MUCH healthier version that is perfect for this Fall season! Whether you pick up a squash at the farmer’s market or at the grocery store, they last about 3 months when stored in a cool, dry place (not your refrigerator).
While baked butternut squash fries might be healthier than their french fry cousins, if you’re eating them with store-bought ketchup, that sort of cancels it out! As you know, most bottled ketchup is made with all sorts of artificial colors and high fructose corn syrup. So why not make your own? Our homemade ketchup recipe only requires 5 ingredients, most of which you probably have sitting around your kitchen!
Yields: 4 servings
Butternut Squash Fries:
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Cooking spray
Homemade Ketchup recipe:
- 1 can small can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Stevia
- Sprinkle of salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel butternut squash. Cut into French fry shaped pieces and place in a bowl.
3. Add seasonings and olive oil. Stir to coat.
4. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray on a single layer.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges start to turn brown.
6. For ketchup, mix all ingredients and serve with fries.
Want more healthy recipes like this one delivered straight to your inbox? You can sign up for our emails here!