Allergic to dairy? Lactose-intolerant? Simply don’t eat dairy? There’s no reason to miss out on ice cream!
Try this recipe adapted by Chef Deb Cantrell. It serves 6, and it’s also gluten-free.
• 2 13.5 ounce cans full fat coconut milk (roughly 3 1/2 cups)
• 1/2 cup raw sugar, agave or coconut palm sugar
• 1 tsp quality vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
• 1 pinch xanthan gum (optional)
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp cinnamon sugar
• 1 piece of gluten-free toast, grated or scraped with a knife
• Add coconut milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar, stir and bring to a boil. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes.
• Remove mixture from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and pinch xanthan gum. Whisk to combine.
• Transfer to a glass bowl and refrigerate until cooled (6-8 hours). Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap.
• Once the mixture is thoroughly chilled, transfer it into the bowl of your ice cream machine and mix according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Once the ice cream is nearly done (35-40 minutes), sprinkle in half of the cinnamon sugar and toast flecks.
• When the ice cream machine stops, transfer to a freezer-safe container and sprinkle in the rest of the cinnamon sugar and toast flecks, swirling with a knife to slightly incorporate.
• Serve soft or place in the freezer to harden. Will keep about a week in the fridge. Thaw for 10-15 minutes before serving if you place in the freezer.
* Adapted from the Minimalist Baker