Dad has been doing so well on his Paleo diet, hasn’t he? You want to make him something special for Father’s day breakfast, but his favorite breakfast food of all time, biscuits and gravy, is absolutely, 100 percent, NOT Paleo friendly. Well, you are in luck. We have a recipe for you!
Instead of using typical milk or cream in the gravy, make the switch to full fat coconut milk for a creamy Paleo alternative. Our fluffy biscuits made with almond and coconut flour are sure to satisfy Dad’s never-ending carb cravings.
Because Dad works hard day in and day out, and deserves to be pampered, too, serve these “biscuits and gravy” to him in bed and let him get a few more zzz’s. Add in a cup of coffee and you have a breakfast that Dad is sure to love. Now go whip up this plate of delicious for dad!
Paleo Biscuits and Gravy
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (we recommend getting sausage locally from The Salty Pig!)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 C coconut flour
- 1-2 cups coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up into small pieces. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the oil to the pan, then whisk in the almond flour (starting with 2 tablespoons and adding 1 tablespoon at a time if needed) until a thick roux forms.
- Pour in half a cup of almond milk, whisking to fully combine. Simmer until thickened, and then add another half cup of milk, whisking to combine, simmering until thickened. Repeat this process with the remaining milk if the gravy is still too thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat once desired consistency is reached, add the sausage to the gravy, and serve over delicious paleo biscuits.
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons ghee , separated coconut oil works too
- 5 real egg whites* (Use fresh egg whites, not liquid whites from a carton)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, almond milk, and 2 tablespoons ghee. Mixture should will coarse and mealy.
3. In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the egg whites to the flour mixture and stir until completely combined. Your egg whites will fall completely — this is expected. Allow dough to sit for five minutes as the coconut flour will absorb liquid. You want your finished dough to be the consistency of good oatmeal — not too thin and not gluey. If too thin, add coconut flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it thickens appropriately.
5. Using a muffin scoop or spoon, drop biscuits onto parchment paper at least one inch apart. Brush the tops with leftover ghee if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Does Dad prefer something a little sweeter for breakfast? Check out our carrot cake quinoa breakfast bowl for a different take on breakfast that Dad is sure to love. Bonus, it’s still paleo!
Looking for a little something extra for Dad this Father’s Day? You can purchase a Savor gift certificate for any of our services. Treat Dad to some ready to go Paleo meals that get delivered right to your door!