We don’t get much of a Fall season in Texas, but it’s always nice when the temperatures start to drop (a little) and the leaves start falling. We can at least pretend it’s Fall with all this rain, right?
Soup is a favorite in the Fall and if you’re tired of making the same old chicken noodle or taco soup, then you’ll enjoy whipping up a bowl of something new and light.
We made this soup for a gluten-free client last week and they loved it!
Italian Egg Drop Soup
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⅓ cups gluten free pasta shells or other small pasta (4 oz)
- 1 (7 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3/4 cup leeks, thinly chopped and whites and greens divided
- 3 cups chopped arugula, any tough stems removed
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken broth, water, pasta, chickpeas, the leek whites and nutmeg in a large pot; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and boil for half as long as directed by the pasta package, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in arugula and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. While stirring the soup constantly, slowly add eggs; cook for 2 minutes. (The cooked egg will look like feathery strands.) Season with pepper and crushed red pepper and stir in the leek greens and lemon juice. Ladle into 6 bowls and top with Parmesan.
You can also top with french fried onions and red cabbage if desired! We thought it added some pretty color.
Already thinking of holiday food? We are too! Go check out our holiday meals & catering 2018 menus and let us know how we can personalize your holiday feasts this year!